Trade advertising, consumer advertising, publishing brand, publishing symbol, advertising campaign, “public relations” or PR campaign, print PR manager, print image, marketing forecasts, book market.
Advertising in the publishing industry is aimed at two different groups: the book trade and the end consumer. That is why different means of advertising are used in publishing houses at different rates.
Advertising in the book business is divided into commercial advertising and consumer advertising.
Commercial advertising is mainly associated with the second stage of book marketing. Its main function is to inform consumers about the delivery of the required amount of books to bookstores. Trade advertising is necessary for the delivery of books to the retail system. Cooperative trade advertising is conducted and paid for by publishers and booksellers.
Consumer advertising is aimed at the effective sale of books. In order to make consumer advertising appealing to every consumer, you need to be able to present the book uniquely. Future readers of the book should also be described in detail: who they are, for whom the book is intended – children, adolescents, adults, etc. Only after answering such questions can you develop an advertising idea
Advertising materials are divided into four types:
– permanent – advertises the brand of the publishing house (window writing, billboards, neon signs);
– temporary – advertisements with the symbol of the publisher (for example, in packages);
– propaganda – serves for the conduct of general advertising campaigns (posters, signs, calendars);
– Incentive – short-term advertising (for example, a free supplement is provided in the book – a sign with the symbol of the publisher);
The effectiveness of advertising is tested depending on the following parameters:
1) exposure is checked as follows: place the ad with other ads and then monitor how memorable it is;
2) the persuasion must be sure that the consumer will buy the book product specified in the advertisement;
3) informatization is assessed in two ways: respondents are provided with information about the features of the book. He evaluates the book by comparing it with books from other publishers. This approach is called “covert participation in assessment.” When using the “open assessment” method, the respondent has no information other than advertising. He evaluates the book according to the text of the advertisement, not the book itself.
4) during the diagnosis the following questions are asked: “How do you evaluate the book product described in the text of the advertisement?”, “What do you think are the pros and cons of this advertisement?”
Books are individual consumer goods, and for some groups of consumers, books are the most important tool in their spiritual life. Therefore, when advertising book products, professionals can use all the advertising tools in the marketing system.
The first is the agreed time (or place) for meeting people. It is important that both the agreed time and venue are in line with the purpose of the advertisement and that less money is spent.
The second means of advertising is retail. The direct involvement of a publisher in the sale of their publishing products has a positive effect on book advertising.
Some publishers use this method in large retail outlets.
The third tool is to stimulate the delivery or sale of goods. This method is used in general advertising and sales of goods to gain a certain market share.
The fourth tool is word of mouth.
Good feedback from people who bought a book. This method is very popular among the population.
The fifth tool is advertising information. For example, information sheets with a brief summary of the author, volume, year of publication, price and content of the published books. Moreover, these pages indicate the address of the publisher, telephone numbers, fax numbers, e- mail. The information on these pages is concise and accurate.
These pages are very useful for libraries, trade organizations, industry organizations and the media, which are often engaged in searching for and organizing information about book products.
Some publishers also publish extensive catalogs of their products. The frequency of catalog publishing depends on the sales of books. If detective or love novels (with a simple cover) are advertised, catalogs are published monthly. Moreover, sometimes a catalog of books to be published (within a year) is published twice a year.
Specialists should pay attention to the following when compiling the catalog: the structure of the material placement (clear and logical), cover (color and style of decoration), illustrations (showing fragments of the book, posting photos of authors, etc.) and source information (detailed information). Order forms are also included in the catalogs.
Leaflets and brochures are often used in the book business. The sheets consist of a single page (but are filled on both sides), the leaflets are volumetric sheets folded in a harmonic or other form.
Sheets and brochures are decorated in color and bear the logo of the publisher or the serial number of the advertised book, etc. symptoms are displayed.
Direct mail advertising (direct mail) is a form of marketing. The information is sent to specific addresses: libraries, bookstores, secondary and higher education institutions, organizations engaged in professional development, cultural, educational and religious organizations, firms and enterprises.
This method advertises expensive, illustrated publications and publications for specific market segments.
Information must be sent in a branded, beautifully decorated envelope. Along with the actual information, a brochure or information sheet, order or response forms are also attached. Recently, publishers use posters and calendars (large and pocket-sized) as an advertising tool. They show the products of the publishing house, book characters (children’s literature), images of literary works on movies and TV screens.
These materials are often based on visual information. Therefore, they do not need to be filled with other information. Consumers’ attention is focused on getting to know the characters and the beautiful design of the advertising material.
Information about the publishing and book trade business can be provided to consumers through the media.